Rainier Lodge No. 189 was Chartered June 13, 1912 in the South Seattle District bearing that name.
The Lodge was actually named for Rainier Heights, where it was located.
That area had gotten its name from Mount Rainier, which at 14,400 feet was one of the grandest scenes
in the state. The mountain was named for Admiral Peter Rainier of the British Navy, by Captain George
In the spring of 1909 all the Masonic Lodges in Seattle met at the Masonic building located at First Avenue
and Bell Street (Old Belltown). For those Masons, such as Doctor Alvah E. Green, who lived in the Rainier
area, it was a long way to go to Lodge. These Masons felt a smaller Lodge in the local area could provide
the intimate fellowship and friendliness that the downtown Lodges could not furnish. A list of 41 Masons
in the area met and after a little stormy session over who would be the first Officers, the matter was
dropped for awhile. In the summer of 1910 the matter arose again, and St. John's Lodge No. 9 was asked
to sponsor the new Lodge. It met for a few months at the I.O.O.F. Hall and then moved to Greyerbiehl's
Hall on Jackson Street.
In 1920 they purchased a lot on which to build their own Temple at the corner of 24th Avenue South and
South Main Street. The cornerstone was laid August 15, 1925 and the building was dedicated February 27, 1926,
although the first meeting was held there on December 30, 1925 for the Installation of Officers.
The driving force behind the construction had been W. Frank Twitchell, who planned, designed, worked and
prayed, until the beautiful structure was completed.
All but four of the original Charter Members served as Master, and the Lodge had two outstanding
characteristics: friendliness and proficiency of the ritual. The Lodge was selected to be the first Lodge
to exemplify a Third Degree before Grand Lodge sessions in Bellingham in 1943. Many members have served
Grand Lodge and several have been long time Officers, such as W. Bert Weed who was Treasurer for 41 years,
and B. Edwin S. Hutchinson who was Organist for 43 years.
In 1970 the Federal Government, through an Urban Renewal Program, bought the Temple for the asking price of
$120,000.00, of which 2/3rds went to Rainier Lodge and 1/3rd to Amethyst Chapter, Order of Eastern Star.
The Lodge voted to move to Alki Temple in West Seattle and in April of 1970 held a cornerstone removal
ceremony. The Mayor of Seattle, B. Wesley Uhlman, Grand Master Frank Ulin and members of the two major
newspapers, along with members of the Prince Hall Masons were present. The building became the Grand East
for the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Washington and its Jurisdiction, and several of their
Lodges meet there today.
Because of a need to change meeting nights to gain attendance, the Lodge moved to Ark Lodge in Rainier Valley
in 1971, which allowed them to return to their old meeting night of the first Thursday of each month.
(The Lodge currently meets on the 2nd Friday of each month at the Greenwood Masonic Center which is located
on the corner of Greenwood Ave N and N 80th St in Seattle)
In 1962, which was the 50th Anniversary, Worshipful Master Harry N. Dial was also very active in promoting
and arranging for a Masonic Hospitality Center at the Century 21 World's Fair in Seattle which saw visiting
Masons from around the world sign the guest book there. The 75th Anniversary saw a large gathering at the
Seattle Scottish Rite, with each member and widow receiving a specially engraved water tumbler marking the
Most of the above was taken from material submitted by W Bro. Harry N. Dial, who (had) gathered material
from earlier members and previous histories.
Excerpt from "History of the Grand Lodge of Washington 1979 - 1994" VW Bro. Bob Jensen - Grand Historian,
Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of F&AM of Washington 1994 - 1995
Thanks to VW Bro. Marv Pearson for helping preserve the history of Rainier Lodge 189.